subTerrain publishes original fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, essays, and commentary three times a year. Submissions must be previously unpublished material. (Note maximum number of submissions per issue in General Guidelines below.)
subTerrain welcomes submissions from both emerging and established authors. We are happy to consider work from all corners of the identity spectrum, including works by underrepresented writers, including but not limited to writers who are indigenous, of colour, immigrants, women, LGBTQI+, low-income, no-income, and writers with disabilities. Submitters are welcome to state demographics such as race, age, gender, etc. in their cover letter if they so choose.
Issue #79 (Spring 18) Theme: Bye-bye Vancouver
Our spring 2018 issue will focus on the changing/shifting landscape of Vancouver.
CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS ISSUE.
Deadline for submissions: February 15, 2018
Issue #80 (Summer/Fall 18) Theme: Margins
Life on the margins, being on the border or edge of society.
Submissions open March 26, 2018
Deadline for submissions: June 8, 2018
Issue #81 (Winter 18) General Issue
Submissions open July 2, 2018
Deadline for submissions: September 3, 2018
When submitting, please identify on the envelope the theme issue for which you're submitting.
Feel free to interpret these themes in unique and unusual ways.
All other regular submission guidelines still apply, as below.
The following are some general guidelines (as always, we suggest READING an issue of the magazine to see what we're all about).
Submissions must be previously unpublished and be:
1. typed, double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no disks or e-mail submissions please)
2. Fiction: a maximum of 3,000 words. (Max. 3 stories per issue)
3. Poetry: we no longer accept unsolicited poetry submissions (unless specifically related to one of our theme issues). Poetry should be single-spaced with stanza breaks. (Max. 5 poems per issue)
4. Creative Non-Fiction: a maximum of 4,000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
5. Commentary (social or otherwise): a maximum of 4000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
6. Photography & Illustration: we only accept solicited art and photography. Please forward us a link to your work;
7. Those submissions not accompanied by a SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) will not be considered or returned. Submissions from outside Canada: It has come to our attention that IRCs are no longer available in the U.S. Submitters from outside Canada: please DO NOT SEND RETURN ENVELOPES WITH U.S. STAMPS -- WE CANNOT USE U.S. POSTAGE TO MAIL FROM CANADA! Please include your email address with your submission and we will respond via email.
8. Please do not send submissions via email.
Payment rates for published submissions:
Poetry: $50 per poem
Prose: $.10 per word (to a maximum of $500.)
Submit online (click) here:
Mail hard copy submissions to:
P.O. Box 3008, MPO
Vancouver, BC V6B 3X5
TEL: (604) 876-8710 FAX: (604) 879-2667