Future Theme Issues/Call for Submissions
Issue #73 (Spring) – Theme: “SECRETS”
Poetry, fiction, nonfiction exploring the idea of secrecy. Personal, corporate, governmental, military -- secrecy is used to cement personal relationships, to guarantee state security, to harbour knowledge. Some consider secrecy one of the main sources of human conflict. We intend to open the doors on the subTerrain confessional.
Mark envelope “Secrets”
Deadline for submissions: February 15, 2016 (postmarked)
Issue #74 (Summer/Fall) -- GENERAL ISSUE
Fiction, creative nonfiction, commentary, essay – all welcome! See our general Submission Guidelines below.
Deadline for submissions: May 15, 2016 (postmarked)
Issue #75 (Winter) – Theme: “NOSTALGIA”
Poetry, fiction, nonfiction exploring the notion of nostalgia, a longing for the past, the good old days. "Retro" in fashion and culture has been sold since the '70s and as opposed to the "sweet longing" of nostalgia, retro comes with a dose of cynicism. We intend to look at what Baudrillard described as a "demythologization of the past".
Mark envelope “Nostalgia”
Deadline for submissions: September 15, 2016 (postmarked)
When submitting, please identify on the envelope the theme issue for which you're submitting.
Feel free to interpret these themes in unique and unusual ways.
All other regular submission guidelines still apply, as below.
The following are some general guidelines (as always, we suggest READING an issue of the magazine to see what we're all about).
Submissions should be:
1. typed, double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no disks or e-mail submissions please)
2. Fiction: a maximum of 3,000 words.
3. Poetry: we no longer accept unsolicited poetry submissions (unless specifically related to one of our theme issues). Poetry should be single-spaced with stanza breaks.
4. Creative Non-Fiction: a maximum of 4,000 words.
5. Commentary (social or otherwise): a maximum of 4000 words.
6. Photography & Illustration: we only accept solicited art and photography. Please forward us a link to your work;
7. Those submissions not accompanied by a SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) will not be considered or returned. Submissions from outside Canada: It has come to our attention that IRCs are no longer available in the U.S. Submitters from outside Canada: please DO NOT SEND RETURN ENVELOPES WITH U.S. STAMPS -- WE CANNOT USE U.S. POSTAGE TO MAIL FROM CANADA! Please include your email address with your submission and we will respond via email.
8. Please do not send submissions via email.
Payment rates for published submissions:
Poetry: $50 per poem
Prose: $50 per page
Mail hard copy submissions to:
P.O. Box 3008, MPO
Vancouver, BC V6B 3X5
TEL: (604) 876-8710 FAX: (604) 879-2667 EMAIL: email@example.comBack to top