Future Theme Issues/Call for Submissions
Issue #64 (Spring) -- "HEAT" —
subTerrain's Spring 2013 issue is all about HEAT ... and it's ...
ON NEWSSTANDS NOW!
Issue #65 (Summer) — No theme, general submissions welcome!
25th Anniversary Issue! As well as a fine selection of new fiction, poetry, and commentary, we are planning to run a retrospective section featuring memorabilia, excerpts from early issues, and reflective pieces from some of the long-time editors, as they cast their vision back to the early days of the magazine.
Deadline for submissions: May 15th, 2013
Issue #66 (Fall/Winter) — Theme: This Carnival Life
“We have a nice time here. But remember, carnivals come cheap. What matters is the day after, when we will have to return to normal lives. Will there be any changes then?”
—Slavoj Zizek (to the Occupy Wall Street protesters in Zuccotti Park)
Carnival, in the sense of political carnival will be explored. As with the recent Occupy Wall Street “movement,” one must ask, Can movements without clearly defined demands be successful in enacting real change? Or are such movements just part of the “cult of participation”?
Deadline for submissions: Sept. 15th, 2013
When submitting writing or imagery, please identify on the envelope the theme issue for which you're submitting.
Feel free to interpret these themes in unique and unusual ways. Theme issues will still feature "regular" work, so please continue sending us your submissions, theme-related or not.
All other regular submission guidelines still apply, as below.
The following are some general guidelines (as always, we'd suggest READING an issue of the magazine to see what we're all about).
Submissions should be:
1. typed, double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no disks or e-mail submissions please)
2. Fiction: a maximum of 3,000 words (2,000 or so is best for us).
3. Poetry: we no longer accept unsolicited poetry submissions (unless specifically related to one of our theme issues).
4. Creative Non-Fiction: a maximum of 4,000 words.
5. Commentary (social or otherwise): a maximum of 4000 words.
6. Photography & Illustration: we only accept solicited art and photography. Please forward us a link to your work;
7. Those submissions not accompanied by a SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) will not be considered or returned. Submissions from outside Canada must include a sufficient number of International Reply Coupons to cover the return postage.
8. Please do not send submissions via email.
Payment rates for published submissions:
Poetry: $50 per poem
Prose: $50 per page
Send submissions to:
P.O. Box 3008, MPO
Vancouver, BC V6B 3X5
TEL: (604) 876-8710 FAX: (604) 879-2667 EMAIL: email@example.comBack to top