subTerrain publishes original fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, essays, and commentary three times a year. Submissions must be previously unpublished material. (Note maximum number of submissions per issue in General Guidelines below.)
subTerrain welcomes submissions from both emerging and established authors. We are happy to consider work from all corners of the identity spectrum, including works by underrepresented writers, including but not limited to writers who are indigenous, of colour, immigrants, women, LGBTQI+, low-income, no-income, and writers with disabilities. Submitters are welcome to state demographics such as race, age, gender, etc. in their cover letter if they so choose.
SPRING, #85 (Special Issue)
A House Made of Dawn (Visions of the Cultural Ramifications of Current and Future Trends in Digital Technologies) guest editor: Oliver Hockenhull This special issue of subTerrain will code readers into ecstatic dream worlds that are just around the bend of the collective mind. We will be searching for a new cosmological culture amongst the Ones and Zeros of the near and distant future.
OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS: NOVEMBER 21, 2019
SUMMER/FALL, #86 (Disobedience)
subTerrain has always prided itself on its rejection of the status quo, and in this issue we will feature work that explores disobedience as progress, as chaos, or as morality. Or perhaps the works will be an act of disobedience themselves, in that they flout the so-called rules of genre. This issue will also feature the winning entries from our annual Lush Triumphant Literary Awards.
OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS: FEBRUARY 1, 2020
WINTER, #87 (Isms)
In a time of acute social activism, and some might say, division, issue #87 invites writers to ponder “isms.” Racism, classism, conservatism, pacifism, feminism, sexism, atheism, capitalism, dualism, fascism, neoliberalism, optimism, populism, etcetera. This issue will also feature the runner-up entries from our annual Lush Triumphant Literary Awards.
OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS: JUNE 1, 2020
Submit via Submittable at the "Submit online" link below. If submitting via snail mail, please identify on the envelope the theme issue for which you are submitting.
Feel free to interpret these themes in unique and unusual ways.
All other regular submission guidelines still apply, as below.
The following are some general guidelines (as always, we suggest READING an issue of the magazine to see what we're all about).
Submissions must be previously unpublished and be:
1. typed, double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no disks or e-mail submissions please)
2. Fiction: a maximum of 3,000 words. (Max. 3 stories per issue)
3. Poetry: we no longer accept unsolicited poetry submissions (unless specifically related to one of our theme issues). Poetry should be single-spaced with stanza breaks. (Max. 5 poems per issue)
4. Creative Non-Fiction: a maximum of 4,000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
5. Commentary (social or otherwise): a maximum of 4000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
6. Photography & Illustration: we only accept solicited art and photography. Please forward us a link to your work;
7. Those submissions not accompanied by a SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) will not be considered or returned. Submissions from outside Canada: It has come to our attention that IRCs are no longer available in the U.S. Submitters from outside Canada: please DO NOT SEND RETURN ENVELOPES WITH U.S. STAMPS -- WE CANNOT USE U.S. POSTAGE TO MAIL FROM CANADA! Please include your email address with your submission and we will respond via email.
8. Please do not send submissions via email.
Payment rates for published submissions:
Poetry: $50 per poem
Prose: $.10 per word (to a maximum of $500.)
Submit online (click) here:
Mail hard copy submissions to:
P.O. Box 3008, MPO
Vancouver, BC V6B 3X5
TEL: (604) 876-8009