subTerrain publishes original fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, essays, and commentary three times a year. Submissions must be previously unpublished material. (Note maximum number of submissions per issue in General Guidelines below.)
Issue #78 (Winter 2017) – No theme: “GENERAL ISSUE”
Poetry, fiction, nonfiction. Please see GENERAL GUIDELINES BELOW.
Mark envelope “General Issue”
Online submissions open June 1, 2017. Mailed submissions are welcome any time, but please be aware you might not hear back from us until after submissions have closed for that issue.
Deadline for submissions: September 1, 2017 (postmarked)
Issue #79 (Spring 18) Theme: Bye-bye Vancouver
Our spring 2018 issue will focus on the changing/shifting landscape of Vancouver.
Issue #80 (Summer/Fall 18) Theme: Margins
Life on the margins, being on the border or edge of society.
Issue #81 (Winter 18) General Issue
When submitting, please identify on the envelope the theme issue for which you're submitting.
Feel free to interpret these themes in unique and unusual ways.
All other regular submission guidelines still apply, as below.
The following are some general guidelines (as always, we suggest READING an issue of the magazine to see what we're all about).
Submissions must be previously unpublished and be:
1. typed, double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (no disks or e-mail submissions please)
2. Fiction: a maximum of 3,000 words. (Max. 3 stories per issue)
3. Poetry: we no longer accept unsolicited poetry submissions (unless specifically related to one of our theme issues). Poetry should be single-spaced with stanza breaks. (Max. 5 poems per issue)
4. Creative Non-Fiction: a maximum of 4,000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
5. Commentary (social or otherwise): a maximum of 4000 words. (Max. 2 articles per issue)
6. Photography & Illustration: we only accept solicited art and photography. Please forward us a link to your work;
7. Those submissions not accompanied by a SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) will not be considered or returned. Submissions from outside Canada: It has come to our attention that IRCs are no longer available in the U.S. Submitters from outside Canada: please DO NOT SEND RETURN ENVELOPES WITH U.S. STAMPS -- WE CANNOT USE U.S. POSTAGE TO MAIL FROM CANADA! Please include your email address with your submission and we will respond via email.
8. Please do not send submissions via email.
Payment rates for published submissions:
Poetry: $50 per poem
Prose: $50 per page
Mail hard copy submissions to:
P.O. Box 3008, MPO
Vancouver, BC V6B 3X5
TEL: (604) 876-8710 FAX: (604) 879-2667